2018-01-10 / News

Heat lamp leads to garage fire

ELBA TWP. — Keeping chickens warm cost a Trails End family their garage Sunday afternoon.

“It was going pretty good when we got there,” said Elba Township Fire Dept. Chief Mike Burke. Still, firefighters from Elba Stations One and Two, along with help from Lapeer Fire & Rescue managed to put the fire out in about 20 minutes.

Firefighters were sent to a home on the 4500 block of Trails End at 4:40 p.m. and the last unit didn’t leave the scene until about 7 p.m.

Burke said the homeowners had a chicken coop against the back of their garage and were using a heat lamp to keep the animals warm. He said it appeared the heat lamp ignited straw in the coop and the flames spread to the garage.

“We get this a couple of three times a year somewhere in the county,” Burke observed.

Between the two departments, 40 firefighters were on the scene and a Lapeer County EMS crew stood by. No one was injured, but the two-car attached garage was a total loss.

The chickens, Burke said, survived the fire.

Phil Foley

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 The County Press, All Rights Reserved

Click here for the E-Edition
2018-01-10 digital edition

Unrestricted access available to web site subscribers

Subscribers to the County Press newspaper can now purchase the complete online and E-Edition of the paper for as little as $5 for three months. If you want a six month subscription to the online edition it is $10 and a full year can be purchased for $20.

Non-subscribers can sign up for the online version for $15 for three months, $30 for six months and $60 for an annual subscription.